Beneficent, member of the dynasty. She was the daughter of the fifth Ottoman sultan Çelebi Mehmed, sister of Murad II (B. 1407, Amasya, 1485, Bursa). She was married off to Çandarlı Ibrahim Bey (1425). She went from Kastomonu to Bursa upon the death of Ibrahim Bey. There she married Mahmut Bey, who was one of the emirs. When Prince Cem took Bursa during the conflict between Cem-Bayezid, he sent Selçuk Hatun as an ambassadress with two people to Bayezid II for Anatolia to be given to him. Selçuk Hatun asked for him not to shed the blood of his keen and asked him to give the Anatolian side to Sultan Cem. However, Beyazid explained the harms of dividing the state in two and did not accept the offer. Selçuk Sultan lived for four years after this issue and was buried in Yeşil Türbe at the feet of her father.
Bursa Selçuk Hatun Mosque A couple of months before the death of her brother sultan Murad II, Selçuk Hatun had a small mosque with a minaret built in Kayhan district of Bursa in 1450.
The epitaph board over the entrance door of this
mosque writter in"sülüs" script reveals that it was built in 1450 by
Selçuk Hatun, the daughter of Çelebi Sultan Mehmed. This mosque- its main
prayer hall, together with its portico for-is built with a rectangular plan.
The mosque's gable wall is an element frequently seen with Bursa masjids. It is
built with a chord with three arches. The drinking fountain at the western
corner of the mosque's surrounding wall is built using stone and brick
materials. It is a drinking fountain of the Early Ottoman period built with
pointed arches. This mosque was reovated in 1568 and in
This mosque was renewed in 1966 by “the Institute of Ancient Monument Lovers” (Eski Eserleri Sevenler Kurumu) and underwent a general repair. The small mosque that Selçuk Hatun had built in Edirne in 1451 bore the name “Selçuk Sultan” until the 1920s. Afterwards, it was turned into a mosque by Ibrahim Halîfe. This mosque was demolished during Ottoman-Russia War (the 93’ war) in 1877, and was repaired by General Directorate of Foundations between 2003 and 2005 and opened to worship again. Apart from all these, Selçuk Hatun had a stone bridge built that bears the name “Mihraplı Köprü” over Nilüfer River.
Also philanthropists from Istanbul Yeni bosna Istanbul Nilüfer Hatun Mosque, a magnificent Mosque what they did in January 2004 was named.
REFERENCE: İbrahim Alaeddin Gövsa / Türk Meşhurları Ansiklopedisi (1946), Büyük Larousse (c. 17, s. 10305, 1986), İhsan Işık / Ünlü Kadınlar (Türkiye Ünlüleri Ansiklopedisi, C. 6, 2013) - Encyclopedia of Turkey’s Famous People (2013), Selçuk Hatun Camii (bursasevdam.blogspot.com.tr, 08.06.2017).