The architect is known to have lived between late 15th century and early 16th century. There is not much information about his life, but he is supposed to be the Chief Architect in the period of Bayezid II. He was one of the architects of the era of Bayezid II. It is registered in the sources that his father’s name was Mimar Murad. According to the information in Hadîkatü'l-Cevâmi, written by Ayvansarâyî through the end of the XVIII. Century and in the preface of Tezkiretü'l-Bünyân, which gives information taking part in and the information about works that Mimar Sinan constructed, the architect of Bayezit Mosque was Mimar Kemaleddin.
The Architect Hayreddin became the pioneer of the style of the Classical period in Ottoman architecture with harmony and balance that he brought to the relation between the whole structure and each item by connecting rates which should appear between column heights, widths and ratios. He is known as the master of Mimar Sinan. Beyazıt Mosque and Complex were constructed between 906-911 (1500-1505), however, as a result the earthquake occurred in 1509, of one of the most violent earthquakes during the history of Istanbul, many buildings collapsed. Some reconstruction work was given to the Architect Hayreddin.
The Mimar Hayreddin was also the
architect of the famous Mostar Bridge. The Mostar Bridge, (Bosnian: Stari Most)
was built across the Neretva River running through the Mostar city of Bosnia
and Herzegovina by Architect Hayrettin in 1566 and Hayreddin used 456 blocks of
stone for the bridge. The famous bridge gave its name to the city around it,
and Mostar became the main city of
The Architect Hayreddin was appointed to permanent maintenance of Pirinç Han constructed in Bursa by Bayezid II, in 1508. He built cells, shops and houses to support the masjid which still exists in a renovated situation in Dîvanyolu. Appointments were made in order to give daily-pay to imams, muezzins, wallets and to provide food in the nights of Regâib and Berat. In the deed trust of this foundation, his name was recorded as Master Mimar Hacı Hayreddin, and because of his masjid, the neighborhood has been called with his name up to now.
Mimar Hayreddin Mosque was destroyed and rebuilt by Abdülhamid II, since Divanyolu avenue was extended in 1316 (1898-99). Due to the changes in the time, the grave of the Mimar Hayreddin was lost. There is another small mosque carrying Hayreddin's own name in a site close to the tomb of the Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha in Parmakkapı. In Istanbul, he was buried next to the Mimar Hayreddin Mescidi, on the opposite of Sinanpaşa Tomb in Divanyolu.
REFERENCE: Ahmed Refik / Türk Mimarları, (1937, s. 4), Ahmed Süheyl [Ünver] / "Mimar Kemaleddin mi? Mimar Hayreddin mi?" (Akşam, 8 Şubat 1938), Rıfkı Melûl Meriç / "Beyazıd Câmii Mimarı, II. Sultan Bâyezid Devri Mimarları ile Bazı Binaları, Beyazıd Câmii ile Alâkalı Hususlar, Sanatkârlar ve Eserleri" (İlahiyat Fakültesi Yıllık Araştırmalar Dergisi, II, 1957, s. 27-28), Tahsin Öz / İstanbul Camileri (I, s. 105, 1962), Büyük Larousse (c. 9, s. 5136, 1986), İhsan Erzi / Camilerimiz Ansiklopedisi (1987, s. 11, 49), Ana Britanica (c. 10, s. 503, 1987), TDV İslam Ansiklopedidi (c. 17. s. 55-56, 1998), İhsan Işık / Ünlü Sanatçılar (Türkiye Ünlüleri Ansiklopedisi, C. 5, 2013) - Encyclopedia of Turkey’s Famous People (2013).